First Christian is an open-minded and loving community of faith with multiple generations and multiple faith paths. Ours is a thinking church without creeds or hoops. Our vision is straightforward and concise: “to be a growing, welcoming, diverse community of faith that worships, shares, and expresses through our service…the love of God.” Our mission is equally uncomplicated: “To know, grow, and show the love of God.”
At First Christian,
- We confess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
- We love all people as God loves all people and expects us to do the same.
- We study the Bible, pray, and listen for God’s direction.
- We live out our faith in actions, attitudes, and words for all to see and hear.
- We celebrate God’s love and worship God joyfully.
- We welcome and respect diversity (ethnic, economic, and other).
Our practices define our faith,
- We proclaim the gospel of Jesus of Nazareth and worship is grounded in his “Good News”.
- We celebrate the Lord’s Supper at every worship service.
- We teach and practice baptism by immersion, while accepting other forms.
- We help others in need through mission work locally, nationally, and internationally.
- We are locally governed, but work with other Christians globally.
- We train, empower, and believe in strong lay leadership.
We are a local chapter of a much larger fellowship called The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) that includes a million believers in the United States and Canada. As the first denomination formed in this country, ours holds the values of frontier America…individualism, self-reliance, justice, and freedom.
“We are Disciples of Christ, a movement for wholeness in a fragmented world. As part of the one body of Christ, we welcome all to the Lord’s Table as God has welcomed us.”
– Disciples of Christ Statement of Identity
To learn more about our beliefs, please go to the following link: